Friday, 28 March 2008

Where I'd like to be right now instead of here.

Jon and I both have a hankering to move from the house we are in now to live on a houseboat. Now we know to sink all our house money into a boat would be a bit of a mistake and that we would be better off investing in bricks and mortar, so what we need to do is find a property to buy, rent out that property and then use the mortgage money from the house to buy the boat. That all takes time and a lot of research and energy (something I've been lacking for a while).

The other problem we have is we want to move to Bristol or the surrounding area, but getting a property we can afford might be a problem... also unless we can find our ideal boat on a mooring already in Bristol, to buy a boat and to move it to Bristol means we have to find a mooring... which are rarer than hens teeth.

I've already seen 2 boats I'd be really happy to live on board. This one is my favourite at the moment.







This barge "Warrior" 86 foot long so it's going to be very hard to find it a mooring in Bristol. It's currently in Wallasea Island, Essex, UK, which is the only reason I'm not sorting out a way of paying for it now!

The second boat "Nieuwe Zorg" at nearly 100 ft long will be even harder to find mooring for, but again it's very beautiful, has high ceilings that allow Jon to juggle on board, and it's very nicely fitted out, although it's not quite finished. This one is currently in London but comes with no mooring, so we would have to move it as soon as it was purchased.






The honest reality is that we would probably never be able to find a mooring for either of these boats in Bristol, but a girl can dream as she lays in bed, surfing the net on her laptop, trying not to vomit again.

Ah for the power of imagination. Now all I have to do is turn it into reality.

2 comments:

BaldyLocks said...

Those are probably the most gorgeous houseboats I've ever seen in my life and I've grown up around and on the water. A friend of mine from high school bought a little one and a couple I know recently sold their house. They've bought a sailboat and plan to sail the world soon.

I love the water but am happy on the land. I'd throw it all out the window to live on that first one you have posted, though.

Thanks for your support and for sharing your knowledge of the pain stuff. I'm okay but I have to lay flat, and I'm super crabby to my kids. I really hope this is nothing because in every other way I'm improving.

I'm going to go dream about your boat now too.

littlemithi said...

Wow! They is NICE boats!!! If you're really serious, you can come visit for a weekend and walk around to see if anything that is already moored here is on sale (or just come for a weekend away). I love my water but don't think I could ever live on it. I must say though the two you've shown us are quite special ...